HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Tim Bennett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tim Bennett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Mar 2013 07:26:55 -0700
Alasdair,

Thanks for your reply and correction/clarification regarding the Great Exhibition & Crystal Palace, that was an omission on my part.  If I recall correctly from a couple of sources, the Great Exhibition had many exhibits that displayed the latest innovations at the time (including lots of ceramics based on "Commissioners for the Great Exhibition of 1851, Official Descriptive and Illustrated Catalogue, Volume 2" by Robert Ellis), but also had sections dedicated to ancient civilizations such as Egypt, Greece, Rome, etc.  I've been able to find a couple of stereoviews taken at the Great Exhibition that show Greek/Roman statues that might have provided the inspiration for the central design found on some of the 1850s classical/romantic patterns of "Sydenham", "Pomona", "Cremona", "Minerva", etc.  Again, this is pure speculation on my part, so if anyone has any documented info I would be very glad to have it come forward.  One suggestion from
 http://oldchinaservice.com/transferware/brownsreds/womenvase.html is that the figures are mother and daughter or perhaps "Vertumnus & Pomona and also Jupiter & Callisto, both mythological cases of a man pretending to be somebody else in order to blindside the woman into loving him."  I have no idea what the figures represent, if anything, but would be very curious to know if anyone has any other information on this.

Also in regards to common design elements, I've noticed in many 1840s and some 1850s patterns that use what appears to be an elm tree (from memory I believe from Petra Williams in describing a pattern) prominently located in or near the foreground.  Patterns such as "Tessino" (registered in 1846), "Siam" registered in 1850 (has elm like and palm like trees on the same pattern), "Lozere", "California" registered in 1849, etc have what appears to be a similar type tree.  What kind of tree is it and what is the significance if any?  A quick internet search suggests that elms were commonly planted as ornamental trees in the mid to late 19th century apparently in Europe, the Mideast, the US, etc.  One reference even suggests that elm trees were enclosed in the Crystal Palace near the main fountain.  The earliest so far that I've seen this is 1844, "Aleppo" by Clementson, Young, Jameson and "Doria" by John Ridgway & Co.  Previous to 1844 the trees
 included in patterns appear to be either spruce or what looks to me like sapling Black Locust (just a guess).  The latest, thus far, is "Dora" registered in 1856 by Edward Challinor, though I'm guessing there are others before 1844 and after 1856.  Why the same (or what appears to be the same) type of tree as opposed to white oak, maple, white pine, spruce (that we find in some patterns that originally came out in 1830s 1840s) that would have different profiles.  I fully realize that these patterns in some cases were manufactured over a span of decades, in some cases over 50-60 years by the same manufacturer or others.  What I'm referring to is the patterns when they originally came out (as best can be determined based on narrow manufacturer operation dates, registry dates, etc).  Any thoughts, comments much appreciated.

Tim