HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Lockhart, Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Aug 2012 15:46:40 -0600
I would like to echo Mark's praise for Bottled in Illinois --  and I am
NOT in any way affiliated with the project.  The Bottle Research Group
has submitted a review to Historical Archaeology, and I will not jump
the gun by posting it here.  Suffice it to say that the book is well
written, well researched -- and the photos are top quality.

My copy already has some dog-eared pages, and I have now been
corresponding with the authors -- especially Ken -- to create some major
improvements in the Bottle Research Group files.  I would love to see
more local and/or regional books of this quality.

Bill Lockhart

Bill Lockhart
Professor of Sociology
New Mexico State University
Alamogordo, NM
(575) 439-3732
>>> "Branstner, Mark C" <[log in to unmask]> 8/14/2012 3:16 PM >>>
Hi Folks,

This publication has been out for about a year, but has not been
heavily promoted to date … So I thought I would take the time to bring
it to your attention:

Bottled in Illinois: Embossed Bottles and Bottled Products of Early
Illinois Merchants from Chicago to Cairo 1840–1880
Authors: Kenneth B. Farnsworth and John A. Walthall (2011, 816 pp.)

This is a monumental work that includes over 1100 glass and stoneware
bottle varieties that were produced in Illinois between 1840-1800. This
is a hardcover volume of more than 800 pages, with approximately 3000
color images. Although specific to Illinois-marked and manufactured
specimens, the basic typology and information should be useful
throughout the U.S., with detailed information about containers,
products, and manufacturers. This not just an antique collector picture
book!

And even though I am employed by the parent firm responsible for its
publication, I am promoting this book simply on its merits … A more
detailed description and ordering information can be found on our
website:

https://shop.inrs.illinois.edu/isas-studies.html

Thanks for your attention,

Mark

___________________________________

Mark C. Branstner, RPA

Historical Archaeologist

Illinois State Archaeological Survey

Prairie Research Institute

209 Nuclear Physics Lab, MC-571

23 East Stadium Drive

Champaign, IL 61820

Phone: 217.244.0892

Fax: 217.244.7458

Cell: 217.549.6990

"As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their

faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving

only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their

cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste

of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to

make plans." - E. Hemingway