HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2012 06:22:48 -0500
 I have a couple of qualifications to add:

Regardless of the circumstances under which we investigate a site, we must do so with research questions and not simply because somebody is damaging the site. To do otherwise puts us at risk of devoting considerable effort and resources to no avail and, in the end, convincing the collectors of what they already know: archaeology finds neat things, but doesn't really produce any new knowledge, regardless of how carefully one digs and records. Professional archaeologists just find more and smaller things and their techniques are easily mimicked.

A site that has been damaged to the point where it has doubtful potential to answer any meaningful questions probably should be avoided. Again, if we are likely to walk away with more stuff, but no significant new insights into the past, then we haven't taught anybody anything.

In general, the discipline regards the excavation of a site for purely educational purposes as an ethically doubtful undertaking. While the concern in the past has been the conduct of university field schools on sites for which meaningful research questions have not been articulated, and appropriate methods selected to recover the data with which to answer those questions, the concern should also account for teaching amateurs.

Finally (for now, at any rate), we tend to regard archaeological resources as finite and irreplaceable. Unfortunately, we do not apply these same considerations to our time, equipment, materiel, and, most of all, funds. These too are historic resources that should be conserved; viz., used wisely. Using those resources to make a point to collectors who may well miss that point, and using large reserves of resources to teach a single collector or small group of collectors, seems unwise. Bang for the buck is certainly one criterion that should be considered before committing scarce resources to the investigation of a scarce resource.

James G. Gibb

Gibb Archaeological Consulting

2554 Carrollton Road

Annapolis, Maryland USA ?? 21403