HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Mills, Robin O" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Jun 2012 18:34:10 -0600
Dear Histarch,

I have been approached by a local historic society that is interested in conducting an annual "dig". They want to do a real excavation, and want to save appropriate data from the site, and thus are looking for appropriate guidance on methods and what-not. Now, the site they propose digging is on private land, so the artifacts that are dug up will belong to the landowner. [Although Histarch members may come back with "Not necessarily so..." in their neck of the woods, that is the case here].  This sounds all well and good and potentially a win-win situation for all involved, except that the local society is advertising that they want to divide up the artifacts after the dig is over. The landowner keeps what he wants, the local museum would get some, and those people that excavate would get some, too.  Mmm.....

Now, the dig WILL proceed whether I or anyone else from the archaeological community is involved or not. And, legally, the landowner CAN do what he wants with the artifacts; keep, give away, put in museum, whatever.

I think you all see the dilemma: I could take the high horse and not want to be involved because of the ownership issue (i.e., as Dr. Jones so famously said, "It belongs in a museum!").  Or, I can see the potential to salvage information from a controlled dig (they want to put me in charge), and hopefully engage and teach archaeological conservation and morals to all those involved.

Part of me says "Run for the hills!".  However, I find the latter more appealing, and potentially more rewarding for the resource in the long run, but am interested in what the Histarch community has to say on the matter before making a final decision.

Best,

Robin Mills
Archaeologist
Bureau of Land Management