HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 2010 10:42:01 -0400
From:
"Tanya A. Faberson" <[log in to unmask]>
Mark,
I worked on a rural farmstead site in Daviess County, Kentucky, that had a
brick-nogged, two-story frame structure constructed between 1873 and 1878. I
doubt that the family was of German descent. They had moved to Kentucky from
Virginia and Alabama, as far as I can remember. The house burned down in the
1990s, and most of the nogged walls had collapsed. So, I'm not entirely
positive that the nogging was continuous or not. It's quite possible that it
was. The second floor chimney and fireplace remained intact, and most of the
bricks were of the same, hand-made, low-fired variety that made up the
nogging in the walls (with the exception of some fire brick). The nogging
was messily (for lack of a better term) mortared throughout the remaining
standing walls, and it looked like the nogging was haphazardly constructed.
If you'd like to discuss this further, please feel free to give me a call at
the numbers below.

Cheers!
Tanya

Tanya A. Faberson, PhD, RPA