From:
Juanse Barros <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 May 2012 17:56:32 -0400
On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 4:51 PM, Deanna Corbett <[log in to unmask]> wrote
>>deknow: 1.  Anyone ever hear of hanging raw chicken in a tree to attract pollinating flies?
>
> My husband and I work in the horticultural (tree fruits and berries) sector in New Zealand, where managed (and paid) bee pollination is the norm.   However, last year Kev spent some time with a grower/marketer from Australia, where paid pollination is apparently not usual, and he described as a common practice growers collecting roadkill and spreading the carcasses throughout blocks to attract flies for pollination.

i've heard the same history at Oz. I think randy wrote about that on
one of his articles.

Based on that and because of the troubles I have reported in
pollinating blueberries at the Tilama farm I contacted a flies
(Calliphoridae) producer at Chile and also one researcher at USA (if
it is very important I can look for the exact reference). I did a
small experiment with those flies to pollinate blueberries, and I am
afraid it didn't work.

But yes, there are reports of flies for pollination (in onions certainly works)