From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Dec 2011 10:47:58 -0600
> The principal of uncontaminated comb has proven itself with the growing
> number of new equipment hives for sale by Bell Apiaries in Florida each
> year.

I *agree* with the point Peter made about the varroa not reproducing as well
on newly drawn comb. A fact we quickly saw when the project was started.

I have no opinion one way or the other as to the size of cell and varroa.

When Bell Apiaries decided to cull the old drawn comb the largest pile of
old frames ever made happened. I walked around the pile and figured the pile
covered around three acres. I do know it took a crew two months to burn and
clean the pile up after Horace Bell retired.

When Bell Apiaries (Deland, Florida) decided to venture into the business of
selling only bees (not honey production or doing pollination) the discussion
went to using only new boxes, frames ,foundation & queens. Only splitting
from the original new equipment. The concept was quite different than the
former Bell policy of buying out large beekeeping operations and using parts
needed and selling off the rest.

At the start the hive numbers grew into the thousands but once on the
journey the plan needed followed. Having followed the Bell plan from
implementation I can say honestly that bees do better on brand new equipment
and have less varroa issues. Better on comb on which no mitacides have been
used.

Bell stood firm a couple years ago when almond growers begged to be rented
his "singles for sale".

I was even asked to ask Bell (based on our lifelong friendship) to send
hives which I did but he refused as would be a deviation from his business
plan.

Careful records are kept and deviation from the plan could cause problems.
Almond growers proved back then they will pay whatever the cost to get bees
when in short supply but not wanting to purchase bees or get into the bee
business.

The researchers looking at the new brood comb/ equipment plan believe in the
concept.

There are ways you can let almond growers pay for most your changing to new
comb and clean up your comb over a couple seasons with the only drawback the
availability of single hives from Florida.

bob