From:
Mark McCarter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Apr 2012 19:53:41 -0400
>I've never seen bees on Bradford Pears around here. Dandelions are a week early here.
>Millbury MA

I live in North Carolina. Everything has been a couple weeks early here too, creating problems.
Bradford Pear trees bloomed here a month ago. There is always a roar from the masses on bees working it. The smell is terrible but the bees like it. I see little nectar come into the hive when it blooms, lots of pollen.
After the bee frenzy two weeks ago, Our blueberries looked beautiful until last weekend. Frost shriveled and hardened all of them. Looks like no fruit this year.
The one foot growth of my 300 grape vines is now brown.

Tulip Poplar trees and blackberries are in bloom, but honey flow is slow right now. Another frost is predicted for this Tuesday morning.

It is hard to predict how honey production will be this year! Right now the bees look good.