From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Apr 2012 08:48:30 -0400
I wrote earlier this week
> To me, the most appalling aspect of the so-called study was the lack of references to key work on the topic.

* Actually, entire books have been written on the subject, by now

Insect Nicotinic Acetylcholine Receptors
Steeve Herve Thany

> The aim of this volume is to summarize our understanding on the insect nicotinic acetylcholine receptors. Chapters 7 and 8 provide basic information on neonicotinoid insecticides, the most important new class of synthetic insecticides of the past three decades and their toxicity on the honeybee colonies. Chapter 9 explores the involvement of insect nicotinic receptors in learning and memory processes using the honeybee as insect model.

Chapter 8
Ecotoxicity of Neonicotinoid Insecticides to Bees
Axel Decourtye and James Devillers

> This chapter reviews the available data on the toxicity of neonicotinoid insecticides to bees. The interest of the new ecotoxicological methods developed in order to take into account the characteristics of neonicotinoid insecticides is also highlighted. Although data in field tests are often inadequate to demonstrate causation unambiguously, the loss of the colonies could not
be verified for imidacloprid under field conditions, where no effects on hive development have been detected.

Chapter 9
Acetylcholine Receptor Function in Learning and Memory
Monique Gauthier

* This chapter alone cites a hundred references to other work.