From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Apr 2012 08:00:50 -0400
> Hopefully the first of many studies on the subject.

Are you joking? I just posted a note indicating that the "Bulletin of Insectology" published an entire Volume on the topic, back in 2003! People from all over the world met to discuss research on the issue of neonics and bees.

Volume 56
Proceedings 8th International Symposium of the ICP-BR Bee Protection Group Hazards of Pesticides to Bees
Bologna (Italy) September 4-6, 2002

> 105 delegates from nine European countries, plus Canada and Argentina, met in the beautiful city of Bologna. The three days of lively and informed discussions covered all aspects of the hazards of pesticides, the need to ensure their safe usage for the protection of bees and beekeepers and the safe application of essential crop protection procedures.

SESSION 1: THE EFFECTS OF IMIDACOLPRID ON HONEY BEES
SESSION 2: TEST METHODOLOGY AND STU- DIES OF EFFECTS OF PESTICIDES ON HONEY BEES
SESSION 3: SYNERGISM
SESSION 4: HONEY BEE POISONING INCIDENTS AND MONITORING SCHEMES
SESSION 5: EFFECTS OF PESTICIDES ON BUMBLE BEES AND OTHER BEE SPECIES
SESSION 6: CONTROL OF BEE PARASITES
SESSION 7: EPPO TEST GUIDELINE

Representative presentation:

"Toxicity of imidacloprid feedings on honeybee (Apis mellifera) colonies" (Faucon, et al)
In order to test the hypothesis that imidacloprid is responsible for bee mortality leading to the weakness or loss of honeybee hives reported in France over recent years, colonies were fed with syrup containing imidacloprid at various concentrations over a full year.