From:
Geoff Manning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Feb 2012 16:01:58 +1100
On 12/02/2012 1:16 AM, randy oliver wrote:

> >One problem, Geoff, is what sort of test would one use?
> Mere testing for protein content, or amino acid or lipid profile would
> certainly be of interest, but would likely not tell the whole story.  The
> only true test would be long-term feeding trials of caged colonies, which
> >would be prohibitively expensive.

As I am sure you know we have tested virtually all the pollens we are
likely to come across.  I think that it has proved to be a valuable tool.

I agree it has not told the whole story, but work has more or less
continued and we do know quite a lot of the story.

At one stage I talked the RIRDC, our research bods into doing just such
trials, not that it took a lot of effort.  The idea was mostly around
made up feeds, but in the event they could not find an appropriate
nutritionist.

The eastern mainland states of Aust have two melliferous trees, Grey
Ironbark and Yellow Box.  These both flower regularly and produce top
quality honey.  Both however lack pollen.  They are not unique in this
trait, but because they flower most years which is unique, they
represent a problem; how to handle a honey flow early in the season that
is pollen deficient.  The point I am trying to make is that the search
for pollen has always been of prime importance to us.  As well, we can,
and sometimes do; have honey flows any time of year, so need to attempt
to have quality bees available all year round.

As Bill said, not all pollens are created equal.  This is just the
point.  Some are so bad they are best avoided.  And whilst a mixed
pollen is probably better that a single source, reality does not always
oblige.  So it is most valuable to know just how good or bad  that
source is.  If one runs a pollen trap line it is most instructive to see
just how variable hives are in which pollen(s) they collect.  Some
mixed, others a single source.

All farming is about managing nutrition,  I do not see beekeeping as any
different.  If a bred pollen is better or worse than before, it behoves
us to know this, and act accordingly.

Geoff Manning