Informal Science Education Network <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jul 2011 16:22:03 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (99 lines)
ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.

To what Jonah said, the only metals we add to H2 balloons are powdered iron and copper.  We also add these metals to the lycopodium powder throw.

Jeff Rosenblatt
Director, Science City

Union Station Kansas City, Inc.
30 W. Pershing Rd.  Suite 850
Kansas City, MO  64108
Office:  816-460-2218
[log in to unmask]

-----Original Message-----
From: Informal Science Education Network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jonah Cohen
Sent: Friday, July 08, 2011 8:12 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Colored fire from a hydrogen balloon

ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.

Isabel,

Rather than cupric chloride or cupric sulfate... go with straight powdered copper. You need a tiny, tiny amount to get the hydrogen balloon explosion to turn green. A pea-sized amount is WAY too much.
Using one of those narrow chemical spatulas, just a bit of copper on the very tip is all you need to put in the balloon before adding H2. And my bottle from Flinn Scientific lists (in addition to the fact that powdered metals are fire + explosion risk) copper as irritant to body tissue as dust. With the miniscule amount you need here, it should all burn up. (Wear gogfgles + follow all safety protocols, of course!)

Also, consider Strontium chloride. You'll need more powder than copper (still less than a pea-sized amount, though) and may have to crush it up to get it powdered (it soaks up moisture like a frickin' sponge)... and it turns the H2 explosion into a brilliant scarlet.

Good luck,
Jonah Cohen
Outreach & Public Programs Manager
The Children's Museum

"Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
        -Thomas Edison
-----Original Message-----
From: Informal Science Education Network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Isabel Van Dyke
Sent: Thursday, July 07, 2011 6:41 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Colored fire from a hydrogen balloon

ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.

Hello all,

I'm doing a magic-themed live science show and I want to make blue- or green-tinted fire for "dragon's flame." I'm planning to use cupric chloride or cupric sulfate. I have those two chemicals in solid form, but the MSDS informs me that neither one is flammable as a solid. Thus I need to get them in solution, probably in alcohol (though maybe water would work?).

The tricky bit is that rather than sprinkling the copper on an open flame, I want to use it with a hydrogen balloon. I've exploded lots of those, so in and of themselves they aren't a problem, but I'm a bit wary of adding alcohol to the Hindenburg.

Can anyone out there let me know the proportion of cupric chloride and/or cupric sulfate to alcohol (isopropyl? ethyl?), and any safety tips? I've seen this done before, so I know it's possible!

Thanks,
Isabel
--
Isabel Van Dyke
Science Activities Coordinator
ScienceWorks Hands-On Museum
Ashland, OR
[log in to unmask]
541 482 6767, ext. 218

For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.

Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.

The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft.
To learn more, visit
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.

To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to [log in to unmask]

For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.

Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.

The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.

To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to [log in to unmask]

The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.

To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the
message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to
[log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2