HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Rob Mann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Dec 2012 22:39:49 +0000
Dear HISTARCHers,

I write regarding your possible interest in participating in the annual meeting of the Theoretical Archaeology Group (TAG 2013 in Chicago http://tag2013.uchicago.edu/cfp.html). The theme for 2013 is "Vision." According to the meeting organizers, vision can be taken to include:

  *   vision as dream: from its Latin root, visionem – things seen in dreams, the imagination, the supernatural
  *   vision as sense: the phenomenology of sight and the place of art, aesthetics, and contemporary architectural theory in archaeological contexts
  *   vision as power and domination: surveillance, panopticons, and legibility
  *   vision as time and intention: planning, futures, utopias, millennial movements, and the forecasts of the past
  *   vision as method: the rapidly changing visual methods of archaeology through computer technology and imaging and the ways these methods are transforming epistemology

With this in mind I am proposing to put together a session tentatively entitled "Competing Visions, Contested Landscapes: French, British, American and Native Views of the Great Lakes Region, 1650-1850."  I have a couple of participants lined up, but I am looking for a few more to round out the session.  Since I have been "down the bayou" for some time now, I am not as tapped into research in the Great Lakes as I should be.  So, I am reaching out to HISTARCH to help me find people doing interesting work in the region.

Please let me know if you think you would be interested in participating. Also, please feel free to pass this along to other colleagues that you think might be interested. The deadline for session submissions is coming up fast, January 1, 2013. So I need to move as quickly as possible to get a session abstract together.

Best Wishes,
Rob Mann

Rob Mann, Ph.D.

Research Assistant Professor of Anthropology

Southeast Regional Archaeologist

Department of Geography and Anthropology

227 Howe-Russell (mail); Room B5 Gym Armory/Cox Center (Office)

Louisiana State University

Baton Rouge LA 70803

Office: 225-578-6739