HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bob Skiles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Dec 2012 05:10:03 -0600
Stacy,

Of all the responses, Lyle's shows he certainly has the most knowledge
about utillities in old habitations (as has been the case on many a
previous occasion in the past years).

I was a plumber (before becoming a now-retired archaeologist, lo!
long-ago, in a previous life.... but, not quite as long ago as  your
system, but in the 1960s-1970s, the systems and their parts were still
little changed from those of the 1910s). They are standard gas
outlets.for space heaters. Space heaters sat on the floor, connected to
a gas-cock (that was once screwed onyo the ends of your pipe stubs
instead of the current caps) with a rubber hose, and had no exhaust
ventilation, at that time (as mentioned by Lyle for gas-lighting, they
relied on the draftiness of early construction to avoid lethality from
CO buildup).

Regards,
Bob Skiles
Austin, TX