HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Tue, 6 Dec 2011 19:47:21 -0500
It is true that therse beads have been misleadingly used as prrof of
Russian influences.   I believe I read somewhere in the distant past that they
were actually made in the present Chech (?) Republic.
They have been found at Hudson Bay Company sites and we even have a few
from the California missions, so they were really international.   We have
basically ignored the fact that native peoples had bead preferences which the
Europeans needed to take into account if they wanted to conduct trade.   A
question of "agency".

Bob Hoover