From:
Geoff Manning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Oct 2012 16:17:52 +1000
On 30/09/2012 9:04 AM, allen wrote:

> Reportedly, Ozzies have been known to pull hives off good flows which
> lack good pollen due to the cost in terms of bee life and vigour.

This is true.  Keep in mind that a major flow may occur at any time of
the year.  So it makes sense to try and keep the bees in fine fettle as
much of the time as possible.  Of course good beekeepers are paranoid
about pollen, and the others follow them around.

Still I have seen "bees turned into honey" when there were no further
prospects on the horizon.  I personally would not be game to let a hive
run down to a couple of cupfuls of bees now because of SHB.

Geoff Manning