From:
Tim Arheit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jun 2012 13:17:02 -0400
My personal opinion.....  Informing the world based on assumption of AHB
is premature, and at worst could do economic damage to innocent parties
and open yourself up for liability.   However, I would expect the
prudent beekeeper to notify the producer/supplier of the problem, the
originating state apiarist and your state apiarist.    Then either you
or your state apiarist should take samples to be sent for testing.
Then if they come back as AHB, distribute the results to the parties and
follow up with the originating state apiarist.    They will then need to
follow up with the producer to determine the origin, have his bees
tested and determine how to handle the problem.  If the test came back
positive for AHB it could be a AHB hive in the area of the producer, AHB
in the gene pool of the producer (possibly not originating in the
area),  a single rogue hive, etc.

All parties should treat it as a potentially serious problem, but if
handled well could be minimized and even eliminated before it spreads
and does real damage.

I would really hate to shout it from the rooftop and hurt someones
lively hood and cause a panic unnecessarily when you don't have all the
facts.

-Tim