ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 19 Oct 2011 12:56:31 -0700
Sender:
From:
Larry Hoffer <[log in to unmask]>

Here is a request from Bud Rock, ASTC's CEO, for your thoughts regarding concepts that might be addressed in the science centers of the future, as well as the most challenging topics that might be dealt with, as well as the novel approaches and mixes of techniques that science centers might employ to engage the public in the future.

Please see Bud's request below, and send your responses to him at [log in to unmask] Thanks in advance for your help!!
------------------------

For those of you who attended this year's ASTC conference, I hope that you found it useful and that you will be departing Baltimore with some new ideas and connections.  Thanks to all who have contributed time and effort to making the work of the association a success.

I have a time sensitive request for 15 minutes of your time at the computer at some point in the next several days.

I have been asked on very short notice to put together just a short presentation from ASTC having to do with the farthest reaching concepts that may be envisioned in the science centers of the future.  These are the ideas that might engage the broadest segments of the field and perhaps bring in other fields as well.  The presentation is also expected to highlight some of the most challenging topics that we might tackle in the future and the novel approaches and mixes of techniques that science centers might employ to engage the public in the future.  This is not just about how to be more engaged in communities and responsive to the needs of the public, though these certainly are part of this topic (and clearly at the top of my list of ASTC priorities).  The question for this presentation is about the toughest topics and the most creative techniques of expression that we might envision coming from our field in the near term and beyond.

Clearly, our conference initiative entitled SHIFT was intended to inspire thought about the concept of change in our topics and  approach.  I am just  looking here to the experts of our field concerning the topics, the methods and the wild ideas that may yet emerge in our science centers in the foreseeable future, without regard necessarily to pre-calculated terms of commercial viability.

Many, many thanks.

Bud

--
Larry H. Hoffer