Date:
Sun, 27 May 2012 17:30:34 -0400
>>I am always amazed at the amount of FUD surrounding Roundup.

>I always thought that comments similar to the above missed the point. My
>problem with Roundup - and similar products design to make nice green
>flawless "little boxes" lawns is that in destroying things like dandelions
>and clover we're also destroying wildflower food

Hmmm.  Interesting indeed!  When was the last time you saw a lawn treated
with Roundup?  I'm guessing "never".

As for missing the point, the issue is whether the chemical itself has any
significant effect on bees, other than possibly eliminating bee habit
agriculturally.  It is used to spray weeds out of crops and also sometimes
as a desiccant.

I doubt it is doing much of that in the cities as it kills grass and trees and
most any green thing that it touches and is used in urban areas mostly as
a spot treatment for noxious weeds or to keep a patch of ground like a
driveway or path free of vegetation or, as we use it here at the Old
Schoolhouse, to keep a bare patch around trees to reduce competition
from grass, and to make trimming easier.

Some beekeepers use it to keep down vegetation around beehives, but
the result is bare ground after the vegetation breaks down, so some of us
who keep bees on our lawn don't.

We've gone a long way from the topic under discussion which was

> "Illinois Department of Agriculture secretly destroys beekeeper's bees
> and 15 years of research proving Monsanto's Roundup kills bees
> http://www.naturalnews.com/035920_beekeeper_Illinois_raid.html#ixzz1vSA77An6

The point was that the beekeeper seems to believe that Roundup is
behind CCD.

I think, for one thing, that we have more or less established here that
_most_ CCD is imaginary, and that any real CCD by its nature is hard to
observe.

When I set out to research Roundup on the 'net before using it, I had
a hard time determining what 'facts' were credible and which were made
up.