Date:
Mon, 14 May 2012 13:04:19 -0400
[log in to unmask] (mailto:[log in to unmask])   writes:

Again, I  ask what that means.

I know  that the bee inspectors on the East Coast have  documented AHB in
Florida.  I hear rumors of farther north.  The  problem that I heard at an
AIA meeting was where do they draw the line when  inspecting?  Allen is
correct, its a gradient - not AHB versus EHB, but  something in btw.  So, the bees
can vary from some AHB DNA to lots, and  temperament may not be related to
the amount of AHB/EHB DNA.  I haven't  kept up with this - has anyone
figured out the genetic marker for AHB  aggressiveness?

Ok, so the discussion  went something like this - do we call bees AHB  if
they have any AHB DNA?  If so, are we needlessly sacrificing bees that  may
be productive and may lack the aggressive trait?

However, if we eliminate all colonies with any evidence of AHB, no  one
can say (read this as 'sue us') for failure to protect the public  (read this
- pissed off neighbor).  If we only eliminate aggressive  colonies, the
beekeepers will be happier, but the public may not agree, and the  odds of
litigation over a potential stinging incident go up dramatically.   Plus, AHB
colonies may be reasonably gentle during the first year or two,  but suddenly
become much more aggressive as the colony becomes well  established.

So, the bee inspector management choices tend to be black and white.
Either eliminate any AHB, even questionable colonies OR eliminate only the more
aggressive colonies.

Jerry