From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Mar 2012 04:12:06 -0700

> >I've read the whole paper and find it convincing.  There are real
> concerns raised that Bombus terrestris colonies raised on contaminated
> forage may fail to produce many queens.

I also find no faults with either the methods nor the interpretation.
 However, I also find it surprising, since bumblebees don't store pollen
and honey to the extent that honey bees do, but the apparent negative
effects happened long after the exposure!

I agree with Allen on the effect of a small degree of mortality.  Allen,
you may be able to help us out here--what is the average or high honey
production of a colony on treated canola these days, as compared to that on
canola back prior to neonics, varroa, and nosema ceranae?  Could you ask
around?  Or was canola even planted back then?
--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA