Date:
Tue, 27 Mar 2012 19:01:15 -0400
[log in to unmask] (mailto:[log in to unmask])   writes:

<Now  that people can track bees with radar etc, I wonder whether anybody
has  checked whether bees prefer a nectar source uphill rather than downhill,
 meaning that they fly downhill when fully laden?  I imagine you could, in
a suitably sloping location, place 2 identical feeders with measured
amounts  of syrup, train equal numbers of bees from the same hive to each and see
which  gets emptied first.>

Chris

We finally got two instruments late last fall.  We then had to  test them
for scenarios of interest to our funding sponsors.  BY the  time we finished,
we hit MT winter.  Weather is now starting to  clear, and we've lots of
scenarios we'd like to test.

Also, nit picking - but tracking bees with radar has been done, years ago -
 Gerald Loper found drone congregation areas using radar, but the equipment
was  big, expensive, and only show general patterns of bee locations.

We use LIDAR (Light Detection and Ranging) - similar to radar, but
distinctly different in other aspects.

I'm interested in lots of dispersion questions - upwind, downwind, beehives
 in clusters, spread throughout field, etc.