From:
William Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2012 11:39:48 -0500
On Mar 2, 2012, at 9:03 AM, Bill T wrote:

> Please. If there was ever an anecdotal paradise for tossing "facts"
> back
> and forth, it is the weather.Weather is regional, climate is universal
> (over the whole world).

There is a lot more to global warming/climate change than just the
temperature.  It is the burning of fossil fuels.  It all relates to
beekeeping directly or indirectly.

The burning of coal seems to be the worst.  Most beekeepers that I
know or have known are mostly environmentally conscientious.  Coal is
dirty when it comes out of the ground, when it is burned and disposing
of the waste.  It is putting mercury into the waters.  Polluting the
air. Acetifying our waters.  Water runoff from mines kills streams.
Mountain removal destroys forests and streams.  No forage for the bees
and no streams for the bees to bring water back to the hive.  How many
other bad things can you think of?  How many of us would become a coal
miner?

How about the price of gasoline?  I’ll bet that there are some
beekeepers out there right now who are saying, “I am not going to make
that trip to this out yard today because my truck gets 10 to 15 miles
per gallon.  At X number of miles that is going to cost me X # of
dollars.

Right or wrong about global warming, we need to get off fossil fuels.
One day they are going to run out.  Ask some of the forest rangers
around Skyline Drive in the US.  They can tell you that years ago you
could see for many miles; some days today on a few miles.  I don’t
think bees like to breath bad air any more than we do.  How much
contamination is there in pollen and nectar from fallout?

Think as you may about whether we are warming up or not, but remember
the causes that many are saying is the cause are things we should do
away with anyway.

Billy Bee