HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Peter Matthews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Aug 2017 20:49:21 +0900
Hi Linda,

I work at the National Museum of Ethnology in Osaka, Japan.

Our museum was established in 1970s, and has been attempting to 3D image
artifacts since it first became possible. I do not know the technical
details, but can say that it has been an extremely expensive and labour
intensive process, compounded by the need to redo everything when the
technology changes and the old digital records are no longer viable.

Perhaps there are now standards that allow old digital records to be
integrated into new systems, even if they provide inferior data. I would
assume anything that you do today will be outdated in the near future, and
distant future, so there needs to be a way to ensure that at least data
access is preserved indefinitely... even if it is simply in the form of
archival paper prints based on the digital images.

Dr Peter J. Matthews

Field Sciences Laboratory &
Department of Social Research
National Museum of Ethnology, Senri Expo Park, Suita City, Osaka 565-8511,
Japan.

Tel. +81-6-6878-8344 (office).
Tel. +81-6-6876-2151 (exchange, J. only)
Tel. (050) 5809-5740 (Skype phone no., local call from any line)
Fax. +81-6-6878-7503 (office)
Skype name: cooperative

Projects:
Wild Taro Research Project