HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Boyer, Jeffrey, DCA" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Aug 2014 21:04:03 +0000
Jerry, do I sense a certain skepticism regarding pre-Columbian, non-Viking visitors to the Americas? Have you not read the recent news releases about the conclusions regarding Kennewick Man? Polynesian or Ainu or Jomon?
As I told a colleague who, like me, works in the Southwest, what if we were to find out that Zuni, that orphan language among the Pueblos, was actually an ancient Arabic dialect? Wouldn't we feel silly?
(I recommend Nancy Davis's "The Zuni Enigma" for an argument that is both forceful and . . . um . . . fanciful that Zuni culture has its origins in Japan, which means they came through California, your neck of the woods. But don't pay a new-book price for it.)
And let's not forget Phoenicians -- we have Phoenician rock art here in New Mexico. Or so I'm told. I've seen photos but have never actually been to the site. Perhaps when I retire . . .
In any case, I might not have been as interested in Muslims in the Americas if the abstract hadn't mentioned that the notion has some purchase in the modern Muslim world. Southwestern archaeologists are doing a lot of exploring various narratives, including our own, these days so I was caught by that aspect of the abstract.

Jeff

Jeffrey L. Boyer, RPA
Supervisory Archaeologist/Project Director
Office of Archaeological Studies, Museum of New Mexico

  *   The Center for New Mexico Archaeology
  *   PO Box 2087
  *   Santa Fe, New Mexico 87504
  *   tel: 505.476.4426
  *   e-mail: [log in to unmask]

"There comes a time in every rightly-constructed boy's life when he has a raging desire to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure."  -- Mark Twain, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer