HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Linda Stine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jul 2014 17:46:57 -0400
Someone sent me this- does this sound familiar?  For a dye pool?  Cistern?
or?  I haven't seen it yet.

"A few years ago I was with some people who were interested in a homestead
begun by a German family in 1760... and the stone foundation and fireplace
were still extant five years ago. In the 1970s someone began building a
house on top of it, but didn't quite finish.  Most interesting is a channel
cut in the ground in front of the house.  It is a few feet wide and lined
with cut stone.  It runs perhaps forty or fifty yards to a deep, wide pool,
also lined with cut stone and having stone steps leading down into it.  The
German immigrant who built it...wrote in his will that he was a weaver. "

Linda
at: [log in to unmask]
--
Dr. Linda France Stine, RPA