HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Aug 2013 15:41:33 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (58 lines)
Sandra,

I do not have documentation on the subject, but from personal experience I would say there was little such effort before legislation was adopted. Many anglicismes moved into Québec French, with "flour" becoming "fleur" (the literal translation from the pronunciation of Flower), "mail" becoming "mal" (= bad or evil!), "culverts" becoming "calvettes". A large amount of popular technical vocabulary, particularly concerning machinery and cars, is taken directly from English. I would be quite interested in seeing documented replies to Adrian's initial question.

William Moss MA, FSA, RPA
Archéologue principal
Design, Architecture et Patrimoine  |  Aménagement du territoire  |  Ville de Québec  |  295, boulevard Charest Est  |  Québec  (Québec)  G1K 3G8  |  Téléphone : 418.641.6411, poste 2149  |  Télécopie : 418.641.6455  |  
[log in to unmask]  |  www.ville.quebec.qc.ca  |  www.ovpm.org/fr/canada/quebec

Conference Chair    /   47th  Conference on Historic and Underwater Archaeology
Président du Comité organisateur   /   47e Colloque sur l'archéologie historique et subaquatique
www.sha2014.com   #sha2014

-----Message d'origine-----
De : HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY [mailto:[log in to unmask]] De la part de Pentney, Sandra
Envoyé : 23 août 2013 11:29
À : [log in to unmask]
Objet : Re: Bilingual product labelling in Canada

Although I cannot say with certainty, I would expect that companies within Quebec, or near Quebec that wanted to market their products within the province as well as outside would have found it good business sense to have bi-lingual labeling. 

-----Original Message-----
From: HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Adrian Myers
Sent: Thursday, August 22, 2013 10:15 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Bilingual product labelling in Canada

Hi folks,

I'm looking to gather what information I can on bilingual product labeling in Canada.

This Government of Canada website states that it became mandatory to label products both in English and in French in 1974, with the introduction of the The Consumer Packaging and Labelling Act:

http://www.pch.gc.ca/eng/1359469891097/1359470316573

I'm assessing some artifacts that appear to date to the 1940s, but that unexpectedly have both English and French labeling on them.

Did some companies voluntarily put bilingual labels on their products prior to the 1974 law?

Any ideas, experience or references would be much appreciated!

Thank you,

Adrian

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Adrian Myers, PhD
[log in to unmask]
1-778-871-5397

Message scanned by the Symantec Email Security service.  If you suspect that this email is actually spam, please send it as an ATTACHMENT to [log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2