HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Moss, William" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Aug 2013 15:41:33 +0000
Sandra,

I do not have documentation on the subject, but from personal experience I would say there was little such effort before legislation was adopted. Many anglicismes moved into Québec French, with "flour" becoming "fleur" (the literal translation from the pronunciation of Flower), "mail" becoming "mal" (= bad or evil!), "culverts" becoming "calvettes". A large amount of popular technical vocabulary, particularly concerning machinery and cars, is taken directly from English. I would be quite interested in seeing documented replies to Adrian's initial question.

William Moss MA, FSA, RPA
Archéologue principal
Design, Architecture et Patrimoine  |  Aménagement du territoire  |  Ville de Québec  |  295, boulevard Charest Est  |  Québec  (Québec)  G1K 3G8  |  Téléphone : 418.641.6411, poste 2149  |  Télécopie : 418.641.6455  |
[log in to unmask]  |  www.ville.quebec.qc.ca  |  www.ovpm.org/fr/canada/quebec

Conference Chair    /   47th  Conference on Historic and Underwater Archaeology
Président du Comité organisateur   /   47e Colloque sur l'archéologie historique et subaquatique
www.sha2014.com   #sha2014