HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Karlis Karklins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jun 2013 15:49:26 -0400
Jeff, Susan, and Marybeth,

I was told the "family would like to liquidate the remainder as part of the
process of closing out the estate" which I think implies selling. I
understand that the collection is large and diversified but I don't
know the exact quantities. The bottom line is what would be a "good sample
size"? Jeff suggests 10. My feeling was 100 per variety (though there may
not be that many of each, or the family may not want to donate that many)
as that always seemed to me to be a minimum number for any kind of
meaningful statistical analysis.

I guess I could put it another way using a different artifact. Say, if as
happened at one Canadian site, you excavate a large keg of nails, all
roughly the same, and storage (and weight) is a distinct problem, how many
do you keep, say out of 1,000? I think many large archaeological facilities
will be facing this problem in the near future as budgets are cut and the
extremely clichéd question filters down from above: Why do we need to keep
artifacts? So this sort of thing needs some serious consideration.

I agree that the museum should do the selection but then you have the
problem of do they keep a truly random sample (take a tablespoon out of a
bag) which is best for archaeological studies or pick the nicest ones
(which they will do as the beads will go on display in the museum). On it
goes.

Cheers,

Karlis