HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David L Cook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 May 2013 11:49:51 -0400
My apologies to anyone who doesn't care what I have to say and would rather abandon the listserv than choose to ignore an email.

Thanks Mark,
I understand your point, I can only speak from my own experiences. I and many of my cohort/peers from archaeology as well as anthropology in general are struggling to find work or even afford a place to live. At that point, suggesting that one drop a few hundred dollars on transportation, membership, entry, food, childcare, etc to attend a conference to make professional contacts and build a career is absurd. I may as well get a job as a fast food manager. I can start out making nearly the same income, I don't have to pay to travel and schmooze to "get into the profession", and I won't need to travel 90% of my life away from family for a position that may end at anytime without notice. Of course, my passion isn't in burgers and fries. Of course I have made my decisions to be an archaeologist because it is what I love. However, that doesn't mean I should stop expressing my discontent with an elitist hierarchical system that, for me and many students that I know, is inequitable. I appreciate that many attendees are tired of receiving emails about this issue. I would recommend that they either recommend a better forum for this discussion to continue or do what they would do when any other topic that is of little interest to them is discussed: ignore it and move on. I am not berating anyone's decision to go to conferences. I am only explaining how even cheap registration doesn't make another hurdle in the archaeological gauntlet much less burdensome(as there are numerous other related expenses). I do see the use of conferences, I just feel that the level of economic and temporal sacrifice in this field is rarely returned in economic form for most of us by matter of course(90%+ is CRM, which is a hierarchical pyramid).

Best,
David L Cook