HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Sat, 29 Dec 2012 12:29:38 -0500
Not surprising.   Walmart USA did something similar in Paso Robles,
California, several years ago, when it constructed the parking lot for a superstore
over an Salinan Indian burial ground.   The tribe vigorously opposed this,
but as time went on, opposition from tribal members and concern by public
officials decreased markedly.   It seems that mometary incentives decrease
one's committment to preservation around the world.   I predict that this will
become increasingly a problem in the tough economic years ahead, when
throwing money to potential oppoonents may be even more effective.
Meanwhile, I don't shop at Wal Mart.   THINK LOCALLY; ACT GLOBALLY.

In a similar way, the Mitsubishi whaling group supported the Makah tribal
move to practice whaling in an effort to weaking the international whaling
ban agreements. They were playing on the Maskah treaty rights of the 1880s to
feather their own nest. The outraged reaction of ecologists further
alientated the Makah, who saw this issue as a question of sovereignty. What a world!

Bob Hoover