HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Fri, 7 Dec 2012 09:09:59 -0600
Howdy, Brenna: That is a molded ball clay pipe.  I have seen more
complete examples of it before. More fanciful molded pipes and
painting of pipes became more common in the latter 1800s and they
competed with briar, meerschaum and cigars.  Beside being an tobacco
related artifact junkie, I am also an owl enthusiast (despite
scurrilous attempts to characterize me as an owl whacko, owl freak,
owl thrall, etc.).

If anyone needs Ben Rapaport's e-mail, I can send it off list.  I can
also send his quarterly newsletter of tobacciana publications for sale
(a whole section just on clay pipes).  If there is any publication you
are looking for in the field of tobacciana, Ben can get it for you if
anyone can.

Don't have an electronic picture of that pipe but will peruse some of
my library for it this weekend.

--
Smoke Pfeiffer
Compromise = The art of giving away to your ememy that which they can