HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jun 2012 18:24:37 -0300
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (76 lines)
Mark,

I worked at the Parks Canada lab in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, earlier this year and I saw several metal projectile points found during excavations at Fort Beauséjour (or was it the nearby village of Beaubassin? - at the time I was getting the two places confused). Regardless, I believe they too were interpreted as trade items that were manufactured by Europeans for Native Americans. If you're interested in more information I can get you the email addresses of knowledgeable staff members, they may know of citations or have access to reports that mention the points. You'll have to act fast - no one really knows how long the lab will remain open, and if the items get sent to Ottawa before you have a chance to speak with anyone then they're as good as lost.

- Matt Munro

On 20/06/12, Daniel Martin  <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Hello: In the NW metal projectile points are pretty rare in historic period Native American sites. Why? Shorter transition to market economy? Fast transition to fire arms? I am not sure. I have seen tools made of glass (scrapers) but they are rare as well. Not really an answer to these questions I guess, I would be interested in a good citation as well.
> Thanks
> Dan Martin
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY [mailto:[log in to unmask]] <[log in to unmask]]> On Behalf Of Branstner, Mark C
> Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2012 8:39 AM
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Historic Native American Metal Points
> 
> Good Morning Folks,
> 
> The presence of brass, copper, and iron arrowheads on historic period Native American sites is nearly ubiquitous ... and there are usually a few examples in most appropriately dated contexts.
> 
> I have two questions:
> 
> (1) Is there any evidence for the European manufacture and/or marketing of metal points to the Native American community? It would seem logical that such a trade existed, but any citations or recommendations would be appreciated. I am guessing that given 300 years of contact and different markets, there may be multiple answers.
> 
> (2) Are there any 'standard' or superior references to this topic that I should know about?
> 
> Thanks in advance,
> 
> Mark
> 
> 
> ___________________________________
> 
> 
> Mark C. Branstner, RPA
> 
> Historical Archaeologist