HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Allen Dart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2012 14:07:08 -0700
Having worked for years with nonprofit organizations and individuals who
are interested in archaeology, artifacts, and in participating in our
professionally led field research endeavors, I very much agree with the
views of everyone who has responded to Robin's query so far - that yes we
should get involved and try to educate the dig participants about why
archaeologists do what we do and about the ethics of conservation, and
about how we would like for recovered artifacts to be cared for and
accessible in perpetuity rather than to be dispersed to private
collections.

Noting that Robin is with the U.S. Bureau of Land Management, and as a
government archaeologist myself (in my fulltime job apart from my
volunteer involvement with Old Pueblo Archaeology Center and other
organizations), I would add, however, that any government employee who
decides to get involved in such a situation should make it clear that he
or she is doing so as an individual, and the views he or she expresses in
the endeavor do not necessarily represent the views of any government
agency or of the United States.

(The views I have expressed here do not represent the views of the
government agency for which I am employed, or of the United States.)

al

Allen Dart, RPA, Executive Director
Old Pueblo Archaeology Center
PO Box 40577