HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Apr 2012 19:55:57 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (49 lines)
Ashley,

I don't know if anyone else has responded with this, but the first mark shown likely was used by the National China Company.  None of my sources (DeBolt 1994:100-101; Gates and Ormerod 1982:16(1-2)205-208; Kovel and Kovel 1986; Lehner 1988:311), include it in their images.  The company began in East Liverpool Ohio in 1899 to 1911 (two East Liverpool, Ohio web sites, The Museum and another, have this information), before moving to Salineville, Ohio, operating until 1929.  I couldn't find out anything about "CORDELIA," but this could be a shape name rather than a pattern name, similar to some of the Homer Laughlin wares.  The monogram is shown in Gates and Ormerod on page 205, Figure b. and Kovel and Kovel p. 11 Figure F.   Lehner (1988:63) indicates that the Buffalo Pottery began in 1901, used the Buffalo China mark as early as 1915, but did not change the company name to Buffalo China Company until 1956.  Unfortunately, neither she (pp. 64-66), nor DeBolt 1994:168) show the mark you have.  One mark looked like yours, but the full name was below the buffalo with "SEMI-VITREOUS" above.  DeBolt did indicate that this style of mark was used  between 1903 and 1917.   I couldn't find anything about the "VIENNA" mark, although it might be a shape name.  It also has a look similar to several Homer Laughlin pieces, so it might date from the 1920s-1930s.  There apparently was (or is) a Hampton China Company, but again no marks are available to check.  Can you make out the phrase below "TRADE     MARK?"  That might help with the id.

References:
DeBolt, Gerald
	1994  DeBolt’s Dictionary of American Pottery Marks: Whiteware & Porcelain.  Collectors Books, Paducah, Kentucky.

Gates, William C., Jr., and Dana E. Ormerod
	1982  The East Liverpool Pottery District: Identification of Manufacturers and Marks.  Historical Archaeology 16(1-2).

Kovel, Ralph , and Terry Kovel
	1986  Kovels’ New Dictionary of Marks.  Crown Publishers,  New York.

Lehner, Lois
	1988Lehner’s Encyclopedia of U.S. Marks on Pottery, Porcelain & Clay.  Collector Books, Paducah, Kentucky.

Hope this helps you with your work.

Monique

Monique E. Kimball, M.A., RPA
Kautz Environmental Consultants, Inc.
5200 Neil Road, Suite 200
Reno, NV  89502
(775) 829-4411
e-mail:  [log in to unmask]

Monique E. Kimball, M.A., RPA
Kautz Environmental Consultants, Inc.
5200 Neil Road, Suite 200
Reno, NV  89502
(775) 829-4411
e-mail:  [log in to unmask]

-----Original Message-----
From: HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ashley Brown
Sent: Monday, April 02, 2012 8:18 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Makers Marks

I am cataloging and dating ceramics for my masters thesis and have come across some markers marks I am not able to identify.  I was hoping some one might me able to help me find the manufactures information and the date ranges for these marks.  The images can be viewed at this web site http://www.flickr.com/photos/33648180@N08/. 

Thank you so much for your help

ATOM RSS1 RSS2