HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Tue, 17 Jan 2012 12:57:37 -0600
 All:
The Society for Historical Archaeology is a professional organization and its conference meets professional needs...it isn't designed, nor should it be designed, to accommodate a broader spectrum of participants, although none are excluded.
The Society and many individual members have gone to great lengths to increase accessibility for students.
Compared to what many professional organizations (e.g., AMA, ABA) charge for membership and conference registration, SHA and SAA are laughably cheap.
Conrad: if the costs irk you, feel free to join future organizing committees and lend a hand: good luck finding a conference hotel that can accommodate over a thousand participants and 700 papers for $50 per registrant.
Let me also remind all that SHA and SAA are remarkably democratic: virtually anyone who wants to present a paper can. Most organizations jury paper proposals, virtually excluded young professionals from sharing their work. But that appraoch comes at the cost of needing many meeting rooms rather than one or two ballrooms.
Now, can we please get back to discussing archaeology and abandon this thread?
Jim

James G. Gibb

Gibb Archaeological Consulting

2554 Carrollton Road

Annapolis, Maryland USA ?? 21403

443.482.9593 (Land) 410.693.3847 (Cell)

www.gibbarchaeology.org ? www.porttobacco.blogspot.com

On 01/17/12, Elizabeth Davoli<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

As a local, your primary expense would have been registration, correct? No airfare, hotel stay, rental car, or taxi/shuttle fare as was paid by attendees from elsewhere within the U.S. or out of the country? Would we be subjected to the same litany of complaints if SHA had met in California rather than Baltimore?