HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Nov 2011 13:48:56 +1100
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (44 lines)
Doug

Indeed it should prove useful in looking for pattern in burial mounds. 
Not so useful in cemeteries, which are usually two dimensional.

See separate email for the link.

Richard

On 5/11/2011 01:02, Douglas Charles wrote:
> Richard,
>
> If I understand this correctly, the program would have use analyzing cemeteries, including burial mounds. Is that correct?
>
> Thanks,
> Doug
>
> Douglas K. Charles
> Professor and Chair, Department of Anthropology
> Director of Collections, Archaeology Program
> Wesleyan University
>
> On Nov 3, 2011, at 11:56 PM, Richard Wright wrote:
>
>> I propose to release a freely distributable package Bodies3D, the software of which runs under Windows.
>>
>> The software uses surveyed XYZ coordinates (northings, eastings, and elevations) of bodies in graves - 13 points for humans and 18 points for animals. It also caters for incomplete bodies, provided the cranium, shoulders and hips are present.
>>
>> Text files of stick figures are then generated, which can be rotated on a computer screen.
>>
>> The original motive behind writing precursors to Bodies3D were forensic - to search for 3D patterning of bodies and skeletons in mass graves.
>>
>> The current version has a more general use, being suitable for individual bodies or skeletons, and also allowing the portrayal of non-human animals. Associated artefacts can also be displayed as dots of varying size and colour.
>>
>> Being in pre-release draft state, I am looking for people who would be prepared to experiment with the software, and comment on the notes that accompany it. Demonstration files are included with the package, allowing users to immediately see the scope of the software.
>>
>> Because there may be bugs in this draft version, it is not yet ready for general release.
>>
>> If you are interested in reporting back to me on this draft version, then please send me an email. I shall then send you a link for downloading the draft package.
>>
>> Richard Wright
>>

ATOM RSS1 RSS2