HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Robert Leavitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Oct 2011 08:41:37 -0700
My parents had 20 acres of oranges in California's Central Valley
with a 100-200 gallon underground tank. It had a concrete pad (8 x 8
??) over it, with a hand-cranked pump in the middle - probably, as
Richard indicates, due to temperature extremes - 100 plus degrees (in
the shade, but little shade) in the summer and below freezing in the
winter. The major consideration for the tank was gas taxes - farm
equipment was then (and may yet be) exempt from motor vehicle fuel
taxes. The choice was to drive your equipment for miles over the road
to fuel up at a station , pay the fuel tax, then claim a refund, or
have an on-farm tank. It appeared top have been installed in the late
40's or early 50's.

Robert