Reply To:
HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jul 2011 13:04:54 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (46 lines)
Another inexpensive way is to thoroughly wet the stone with clean water and observe it as it dries under varying light conditions... 

----- Original Message -----

To: [log in to unmask] 
Sent: Wednesday, July 20, 2011 7:26:34 AM 
Subject: Re: Sandstone headstone question 

Candace - In West Virginia there are many homemade and now well-worn sandstone grave markers. The best low tech luck I have is with mirror directed sunlight on face of stone. There's something about natural sunlight.... Sometimes I try it wearing those yellow sun glasses. Digital photo that can then be computer manipulated is more high-tech solution, but sometimes effective (as another respondent commented). I often employ it with historic documents. The mirror directed sunlight is, however, the technique I have most luck with. Often water sprayed on face helps(on the grave marker - not the archaeologist). If you're still desperate, I might give infrared as well as B&W photography (slow ISO) a go with a range of filters. Use of large format film cameras being your best bet - at least medium format or better yet 4x5. These cameras should not be relegated by archaeology to scrap heap. High resolution digital scanning is an expensive alternative. I saw a high-res scan of a 19th 
 century historic photo not long ago where one could see reflection of photographer and surrounding room in eyes of the person photographed. Good luck and let us know if anything works. 

Joe Dent 
American University 
----- Original Message ----- 
To: [log in to unmask] 
Sent: Wednesday, July 20, 2011 12:57:25 AM 
Subject: Re: Sandstone headstone question 

Could it be a footstone? 

Sent from my iPhone 

On Jul 19, 2011, at 9:55 PM, [log in to unmask] wrote: 

> Hello Histarchers.  I have a question concerning a project we are currently undertaking in Utah.  In order to accommodate construction of a building, we are exhuming and moving a grave which is outside of a cemetery.  It has what appears to be a headstone, though there are no discernable markings on it.  It is rough cut native sandstone and seems, with little doubt to be a headstone.  It is roughly shaped, and even sawn off at one end and lies near one end of the grave. There are no other stones of such size in the area.  The grave probably dates to about 1900, based on the fact that there are two infant graves in the vicinity dating to the early 20th Century.     
> 
> We are very interested in trying to decipher an inscription on it, if such is there. We don't even know if there really is an inscription on it or if something was painted on the stone.  It may have never been altered, but just placed there to mark the grave.  But, we would like to be sure.  Can anyone suggest methods that might bring out markings if they were worn down or if remnants of paint remain or if some other means might have been used to mark the stone?  The stone was laying down, so its not even certain which side might have been used.  Both sides are somewhat rough, though one side is less so. 
> 
> Any suggestions would be most appreciated. 
> 
> Mike   
> 
> 
> Michael R. Polk, M.A., RPA 
> Principal Archaeologist 
> Sagebrush Consultants, L.L.C. 
> Ogden, Utah 
> = 

ATOM RSS1 RSS2