HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Mar 2011 20:40:23 -0400
One book that was shown to me by an archaeologist (Valerie DeCarlo)
contemplating and testing for a planned removal of invasive plant
species, e.g., porcelain-berry in the understory of climax canopy in
succession in a New York City Park along the Hudson River in the
Bronx, was "Changes In The Land: Indians, Colonists, and the Ecology
of New England" by William Crondon, pub. Hill and Wang, 19 Union
Square West, New York 10003, a division of Farrar, Straus and Giroux,
c) 1983 in paperback. It is very extensive treatment of the subject.

Another subject is "phytoarchaeology" where certain human activities
"promote" certain plants, i.e., neolithic mine tailings, an
avocational archaeologist Ed Kaiser told me shell middens and
"oyster-grass" and a type of wild carrot, up on a Hudson River terrace
might. There was a large volume of different "phytoarchaeology"
examples I saw just before they closed the Reading Room for renovation
by the Rose family at the New York Public Library.

In 1976 a treaty "skin" was pulled taught on a hoop and illustrated:
if the Iroquois promised to keep them in fences the first born of the
bison would be theirs to tend the rest the owners.

Overheard today on Charlie Rose: "Was it Thoreau who said if I had
more time Walden Pond would have been shorter."