HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 2010 09:21:14 -0400
John,

For manufacturer and dating information on a specific brick, your best
resource is the librarian at the International Brick Collectors of America,
Jim Graves (k_jgraves2hotmail.com).  I don't think there is another single
source that has as much information as IBCA.  I and other archaeologists
interested in brick are members who have written for the IBCA journal, and
find the organization's library to be an invaluable resource.

Another source you should definitely check out is Karl Gurcke's, Bricks and
Brickmaking: a Handbook for Historical Archaeology.  Karl is also an IBCA
member/author.  He has some information on pavers in his book, including a
table that links brands, manufacturer, and source material.  This is out of
print, but shouldn't be hard to find.  Much of Karl's research has been on
West Coast brick, so he is the guy to consult.

JIm

James J. D'Angelo, RPA. Ph.D.
President & Site Archaeologist
The Fort Daniel Foundation, Inc.