HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Kris Oswald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jan 2010 10:24:02 -0500
i have located the same conditional cartridges in 45/70 from Spanish American training camps. Due to dry conditions when the camp was used(summer months 1898) and the amount of activity in the camps with civilian (weekends)and military the camp could reach five thousand or more.
The soldiers would dump the empty cartridges on the way back to and in the
Camps from the designated rifle ranges..with the amount of foot traffic a lot of the cartridges would be subjected to being crushed on the exposed bullet end..also to was noted  damage from freeze and thaw cycles in the
Changing northern weather ...just a thought