HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jerry Schaefer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Oct 2009 17:26:07 -0700
A review of the 1887/1888 and 1906  Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps for Downtown San Diego show numerous second hand shops in the working class neighborhoods.  Business directories and census records also show some traditional ethic affiliations of the second hand shops with Jewish immigrants, among others. We also found archaeological and documentary evidence of glass recycling.

Jerry Schaefer

ASM Affiliates, Inc.
2034 Corte Del Nogal
Carlsbad, CA 92011