HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 17 Jan 2012 22:38:16 +0000
From:
Gary Vines <[log in to unmask]>
8bit
Sender:
Not being likely to attend any conferences in the US any time soon, but dealing with the same issue locally, I have found the discussion interesting. As a moderator of another archaeology list, however, I am a bit disappointed that the discussion should be curtailed. With the current debate on SOPA and  PIPA I think we should be doing as much as possible to facilitate free and open debate.

The US legislation is also  pertinent to recent discussions in Australia about availability of academic research- see for example http://delimiter.com.au/2012/01/17/govt-censors-secret-anti-piracy-me...

You may be aware that several online services have instigated a 24 hour blackout as a protest - including Wikipedia - http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/English_Wikipedia_anti-SOPA_blackout

Gary Vines
OzArch list administrator
https://groups.google.com/group/ozarch?hl=en