HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Thu, 30 Jun 2011 13:34:41 -0800
Over the years I've excavated about 16 log cabin ruins throughout the
interior of Alaska.  I have also been involved with the rehabilitation of
the foundations of three more log cabins. I am also aware of the details of
the excavations of a handful more log cabins by other people, here. These
are all cabins out on relatively isolated creeks, or in small towns near or
on gold-bearing creeks.

In every instance have these cabins been built directly on top of the
ground surface; no stone, fabricated or otherwise, has ever been noted
under the sill logs. In every instance have remaining floorboards been
nailed into underlying spaced-out floor joists, which were placed directly
upon the ground surface.

I don't have experience with foundations of log cabins in larger Alaskan
town settings; perhaps their foundations are different.

Robin O. Mills
Archaeologist - Eastern Interior Field Office
BLM-Fairbanks District Office
1150 University Ave.
Fairbanks, AK 99709
907-474-2359