HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Brendan Pelto <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Aug 2014 11:09:55 -0700
Hello,
We've been running electrolysis on some iron artifacts for the last couple of months, and this afternoon I ran into something I have not yet seen; there are spots of very clean looking light purple on all three artifacts being treated. I would suspect manganese from the sacrifice may be to blame, but we have been using it (with daily cleaning, of course) since the very  beginning, and have never seen this before. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Brendan Pelto
Graduate Student in Industrial Archaeology at Michigan Technological University