Reply To:
HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Mar 2014 13:17:41 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (16 lines)
I worked on a survey where hotel dinnerware from and flatware downtown Chicago were recovered in ag fields more than 90 miles from the city. We later learned that this was the site of a small siized pig farm and thwe material was likely transported in the "slop". there was another case where fields in Loudoun County Virginia were manured with hotel/retauraunt waste including porcelainious china and institutional flatware.
J. Eric Deetz 

Coastal Carolina Research
A Wholly Owned Subsidiary of Commonwealth Cultural Resources Group, Inc.
P.O. Box 1198 Tarboro, NC 27886
(252) 641-1444 (252) 641-1235 fax

-----Original Message-----
From: HISTARCH automatic digest system [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, March 17, 2014 03:00 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: HISTARCH Digest - 15 Mar 2014 to 16 Mar 2014 (#2014-50)

There is 1 message totaling 119 lines in this issue.Topics of the day: 1. Ceramics with names/crests----------------------------------------------------------------------Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2014 10:07:27 +0000From: "C. Cessford" Subject: Re: Ceramics with names/crestsDear George,Thank you very much for the information. Both the examples that you quote are exactly the sort of thing that I was looking for.YoursCraig Cessford> > > > I find your project on ceramics that are marked for institutions that > are> recovered at a distance from those institutions interesting. Back in > the> early 1970s a bowl from the Atlantic Lunch in Washington D.C. was > recovered> from the excavation of Tabbs Purchase in St. Mary's City, Maryland > which> was sixty miles from that restaurant. Oral History showed a community> connection between the Atlantic Lunch and St. Mary's County. My > article> "Ode to a Lunch Bowl: The Atlantic Lunch as an interface between St. > Mary's> County, Maryland and Washington D.C." was published in the 1986 volume> of *Northeast> Historical Archaeology* Volume 13, pages 2-8. This article can be> downloaded for free from the web site of the Council for Northeast> Historical Archaeology.> > > > There is another situation where institutional vessels may be recovered > a> long distance from the intended use. We lived in Roebling, New Jersey > from> 1995 to 2008. Roebling is 15 miles south of Trenton, New Jersey that > had a> massive pottery industry that made a lot of hotelwares. My wife, Amy > C.> Earls, began collecting these wares from the local flea markets and > antique> shops. Many of these wares were from hotels in New York, Florida,> Massachusetts and other places. A number of them have slight defects > that> meant they were seconds. When an intuition placed an order for wares > with> their crest, the pottery company would produce more vessels that > ordered,> so that the order would only be filled with perfect wares. Those that > were> less than perfect wound up in the local communities around the > potteries> and would have been available at a lower cost. Hope this helps.> > > > Peace,> > George L. Miller> > > > > On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 6:13 AM, C. Cessford  wrote:> >> Dear all,>> >> I am currently conducting some work on ceramics that have been marked >> by>> the manufacturer with the name and/or crest of an individual or >> institution>> who ordered the ceramics. My work relates to the University of >> Cambridge>> and we have recovered material associated with a number of colleges >> from>> several sites that indicate that the pottery was deposited some >> distance>> from the actual college. It appears that some college vessels may have>> passed through several stages between primary use and ultimate >> deposition.>> >> The marking of ceramics with the name etc. of an >> individual/institution is>> a relatively widespread 18th-20th century practice and I am looking >> for>> parallels for discovering marked ceramics some distance for the point >> of>> usage.>> >> The only North American example I am aware of relates to the Earl of>> Dunmore, the last crown governor of Virginia (1771-75). Fragments from >> his>> service of armorial porcelain have been found at various sites in>> Williamsburg, possibly because they were carried off when the >> Governor's>> Palace was ransacked or sold when Dunsmore's surviving personal >> effects>> were auctioned off. My references for this date to the 1960's so I >> would be>> interested in anything more recent on this.>> >> Thanks for any pointers.>> >> Craig Cessford>> ------------------------------End of HISTARCH Digest - 15 Mar 2014 to 16 Mar 2014 (#2014-50)**************************************************************

ATOM RSS1 RSS2