Reply To:
HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Mar 2011 14:04:08 +0200
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (6 lines)
Not archaeological, but "the great stink of london" by stephen halliday gives a good overview of some of the public debate regarding sewage in London. Virchow also did what may have been the first rescue/salvage archaeology related to sewage work in Berlin. I have hundreds of references to artifacts found while doing work on sewers (Charles Roach Smith & EB Price in London, etc.)

-----Original Message-----

Does anyone have information on archaeological research into 19th century sewer systems in urban areas? I have been studying the archaeological remnants of 19th century sewerage disposal in St. John’s Newfoundland for the past couple years, and am wondering if anyone has done similar studies in other urban areas. Most of the archaeological research conducted on sanitary issues are privy excavations, cesspits, and the like, which is not what I am looking for, as the published material on those matters is fairly abundant. What I am looking for is examination of the actual “post-privy” (for lack of a better phrase) sewerage disposal system, be they of stone, brick, or whatever.

ATOM RSS1 RSS2