HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Melissa Diamanti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 2010 08:15:54 -0700
I'm guessing it would be important to know whether the forks of your period were individually crafted by silversmiths, or were being stamped out of sheet metal.  If the former, then tine dimensions were probably quite variable.  If the latter, then at least the front-to-back dimension would be standardized to the thickness of the sheet, while the tine width might still be variable.
Does anyone have an idea when mass production came to cutlery?

I'm guessing that you are asking because you are looking at marks possibly left my a fork - in faunal remains (dinner), not in human remains (hopefully not dinner).
Meli