HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Susan Walter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 May 2010 11:49:51 -0700
Meli's right, the transcribers do make mistakes, but so did the census
takers.  And if your "informant" at the door giving the information is an
uneducated foreign servant, or a child, for instance, the poor census taker
often just phonetically did the best he/she could do.

There is another problem I have encountered here in San Diego County; the
census never got to parts of it.  Our border region is very poorly
documented.

I have located names using land use maps, directories, newspaper accounts,
school records, etc that never show up, in spite of their residence here for
several decades.

Good luck.