Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 17 Feb 2012 16:02:14 +1100
7bit
From:
Geoff Manning <[log in to unmask]>
On 14/02/2012 3:01 AM, randy oliver wrote:
> >Several (New Zealand)beekeepers protested that the list excluded some pollen sources
> that were well-known to be excellent for colony buildup.  The point was
> that protein content alone was not necessarily the best indicator for how
> nutritious a pollen was.

We notice the same, well sort of.  Interesting comment though as one
would try to place bees where they had a mixed pollen source for spring
build up. I suspect that in most of these cases there is in fact mixed
pollen coming in (same colour) .  As well we notice that some pollen is
more attractive than others, possibly because of oil content.  And again
there is the possibility that if the amino acid profile is OK then
increased consumption may well overcome the total protein lack.

Also, how good a pollen appears to be depends on how soon after its flow
you ask the bees to work.  And of course how good the one previous to
that was.

> >What I'm trying to get at, is that pollen analysis is a great tool, but the
> bottom line is that bee nutritional needs are still not completely
> understood, and that we must be careful in concluding the degree of
> nutritional value for any specific pollen.
Well, you have to start somewhere.

Geoff Manning